The Press of Atlantic CityThe Press of Atlantic City, covering most of southeastern New Jersey, is the sixth largest newspaper in the state. It began as a small operation in Atlantic City in 1895, when Walter Edge published the first issue of the Daily Press. Edge, who later became a two-time governor of New Jersey, a United States senator and ambassador to France, launched his new publication from the Mensing Building at Tennessee and Atlantic avenues in Atlantic City.
The papers were sold by Edge in 1919 to three employees, Albert J. Feyl, Paul J. O'Neill and Francis E. Croasdale, who ran the operation until 1951. Rolland Adams, owner and publisher of the Bethlehem (Pa.) Globe-Times, bought the Atlantic City Press and the Press-Union in 1951. Envisioning a regional newspaper, Adams opened bureau offices in Cape May and Cumberland counties several years after assuming ownership. Adams sold the property in 1964 to his three sons-in-law and their wives.
In August of 2013, after sixty five years of ownership, ABARTA, Inc. sold The Press of Atlantic city to BH Media Group, a division of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. Mark Blum, formerly the publisher of BH Media’s Florence, SC newspaper, was named publisher of The Press.
Address: 1000 West Washington Ave., Pleasantville, NJ 08232